Life in General

Fear….

All of us are afraid of something. At one point or another, we let fear guide our decisions. Either we don’t start something we want to start, we try and give up because why would we actually succeed? We tell ourselves we’re not good enough, or maybe someone has told us we’re not good enough and we believe it? Another reason is because change is scary and what if that change we make doesn’t work out? There are so many reasons that we can be afraid. Fear of judgement, of failure, or some people even fear success. Sometimes it’s just easier to stick with something that doesn’t fulfill us, that doesn’t create waves, that doesn’t make us THAT unhappy. But WHY? Why do we stay in something that doesn’t make us happy? Why do we let fear do this to us?

Sadly, I don’t know the answer to this. I mean, I know there are many reasons why, but why can’t we get past that, have faith and confidence and just go for it? I have this quote pined to the wall at my desk that says, “Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured” (Anthony J. D’Angelo). I look at this quote multiple times a day and I think to myself how short our lifetime really is. Don’t get me wrong, there are days, weeks, chapters in our lives that feel VERY LONG, but in the grand scheme of things, life is short. Life is meant to be lived, not tolerated. Not wasted. No dreaded. Not just “getting by”. There are no second chances here.

Have you ever sat back and thought about how many FUN and GOOD things there are to do in this world? Things that don’t require us to be millionaires. Learn new things, travel, spend time with family and friends, learn new hobbies, see movies, write a book.. As I sit here in my desk at work right now, after spending the last 5 hours reading and rereading the entire internet and watching the clock tick, I think about how much of my life is being wasted right now. And I don’t say that to be hard on myself- that isn’t the point. The point is, WHY AM I ALLOWING MYSELF TO WASTE MY LIFE AWAY? What can I do to make this different? To live. To go home each night and feel like I’ve accomplished something.
Because I’m so miserable in my job, I’ve thought a lot about finding a new job. Either staying with my company or moving onto another company, but then I think to myself “how is that going to be much different?” I’ll still be sitting in a desk, working regular business hours, and probably continuing to endure life, rather than enjoy it.

So, I think I’m figuring out why I created this blog. It’s different. It’s scary. I will be judged by what I write here. I may offend people. People may think it’s dumb and how can I make a living doing this? And on and on… but this is EXCITING to me. I think about it all day and all night. I look for time in my day to work on it and I write a lot at work (cause.. why not?). Sure, I don’t really know what I’m doing or what I’m getting myself into, but I’m excited to find out. The idea of doing something different, makes me excited! It makes me believe in myself and the ability to make this work because I WANT IT TO WORK. And IT WILL WORK. Why shouldn’t it? Why should other people be able to be successful bloggers, but not me? I’m not giving into the fear this time.

832

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

13 Comment

1. Reply
    Vanessa
    May 4, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Love this post! I feel like all of us spend so much time resting in our unhappiness. You do t want to look back on your life and regret not doing things or be any sort of dissatisfied with the path you’ve taken. Kudos to you for chasing your dreams!

2. Reply
    Rochelle Hasselbach
    May 4, 2017 at 4:56 pm

You wrote all of the same thoughts I have been having. Thank you for sharing! I feel like we all often feels these things which may be what keeps us from succeeding but by sharing it as you have gives me hope that once we get those thoughts out there and just go for it, it works and it feels good to get it our there and just do it!

3. Reply
    Nicole Cruze
    May 4, 2017 at 7:15 pm

So true, fear holds us back from so much, go after your dream!

4. Reply
    Alex
    May 4, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Not good enough. That’s how I feel sometimes and I try to improve that every day. I overthink and stress too much. I don’t know how exactly to put a stop to this and just enjoy life.
    I did notice though that when I’m on vacation I forget about everything and I am finally able to relax and be happy. So I should travel more HAHAHA….

5. Reply
    Mattie
    May 4, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Way to go for not letting your fears get the best of you! Keep working hard!

6. Reply
    Courtney
    May 12, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Girl, this post is speaking my mind! I have the same thoughts exactly and have even thought about writing a similar post about fear. I’m still pondering which direction to take it… fear has been a hindrance in my life for a long time and I’m stepping out! Way to go! I believe we will succeed!

7. Reply
    Mojca
    June 12, 2017 at 7:39 am

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing!

1. Reply
      kateklewicki
      June 12, 2017 at 10:53 am

Thank you so much!

8. Reply
    LeeAnn
    June 19, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Fear holds so many people back from their purpose and destiny in life! I’m no longer a slave to fear since finding God. HE has helped me get passed the fear I once had on so many levels!

9. Reply
    Kristi File
    June 19, 2017 at 10:59 pm

I love this so much! And I struggle with letting fear hold me back all of the time. I, too, am not giving into the fear this time. I’ve launched my blog and I’m going for it! Cheers, and congrats!

10. Reply
    Do You Have a Fear of Flying?
    July 20, 2017 at 6:28 am

[…] Then I became a mom and things changed entirely. I had a baby to care for and somehow I became anxious when I flew. When our son was very young, I did not really have time to think about being scared on a flight. He kept me busy and entertained. I remember on one turbulent flight he was giggling and made others around us laugh. I think the movement of the airplane made his stomach feel funny. I appreciated the distraction from my fear. […]

11. Reply
    Theresa Clippinger
    August 4, 2017 at 11:07 am

GREAT BLOG, HITS A HOME RUN., I CAN RELATE TO ALL THAT FEAR., ‘CARPE DIEM !!!

12. […] because I was so involved with learning everything about blogging. Now, 3 months in, I do have some doubts; how can I keep this up? Will people get sick of reading this? Am I annoying people with my emails? […]